LEARN: For Teachers
If you are teaching your students about the Erie Canal, you've come to the right place!
Erie Canalway Ticket to Ride
Take your students to the Erie Canal. Our Ticket to Ride Program provides funding to help you take advantage of first rate educational field trips.
- Choose from exceptional education programs at designated museums and historic canal sites near you.
- The program covers both bus and tour fees.
- Funding is available on a first-come, first-served basis until available funds are exhausted. Register now!
2014 Program details & Guidelines>
Registration Form >
matching funds form >
Erie Canalway Ticket to Ride Locations
These sites include as part of their program a trained curator, educator, or historian; formal docent program; approved tour script reflecting State Education Social Studies standards; and, demonstrated experience providing school tours.
- Arkell Museum at Canajoharie, Canajoharie
- Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum, Chittenango
- Erie Canal Discovery Center, Lockport
- Erie Canal Museum, Syracuse
- Historic Palmyra, Palmyra
- MiSci, Schenectady
- Schoharie Crossing State Historic Site, Fort Hunter
- Seneca Museum of Waterways and Industry, Seneca Falls
- Waterford Historical Museum, Waterford
Distance Learning Alternative and Teacher Training
If your school is not able to take a field trip, or you wish to conduct pre-visit activities with your students, you may choose a distance learning option. Provided by the Albany Institute of History & Art, this virtual Erie Canal Curriculum Guide introduces students to the history of the Erie Canal using primary source documents and artifacts from the Institute’s collection.
Bring educators from the Albany Institute of History & Art to your school district to introduce teachers to the use of the curriculum guide (limited opportunities available).
To register for the optional distance learning opportunity or to schedule a teacher workshop, please register directly with the Albany Institute of History and Art:
(Note: This does NOT register you for bus and tour support.)