The Arts

The Arts

Whether you are an artist or simply enjoy the arts, you’ll find that the canal has served as creative inspiration since its inception. Exploring the arts in the National Heritage Corridor begins to reveal the full story of the Erie Canal’s impact.

Erie Canal- East
 Madison Theater

(518) 438-0040

1929. Originally a 715-seat, single screen Art Deco theater, complete with Wurlitzer organ. Today, the Madison Theater has 3 screens and a performance space.  Visit Site >

 Palace Theatre

(518) 465-3334

1931. This 2,700-seat theater, designed by architect John Eberson, is the last remaining movie palace in the city. Fully restored to its original grandeur, it now serves as a cultural and entertainment facility offering diverse popular acts and cultural events. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Visit Site >

 Spectrum 8 Theatres

(518) 449-8995

1940. This neighborhood theater's Art Deco/Art Moderne motif, as well as its original ticket booth, doors, and entrance remain intact. The Spectrum 8 is a locally-owned multiplex that exhibits new independent film releases.  Visit Site >

 Arkell Museum

(518) 673-2314

Impressive American Art Museum located on the Erie Canal/Mohawk River. Includes works by Winslow Homer, Geroge Inness, Georgia O'Keefe, leading American Impressionists and paintings and prints featuring views of the Mohawk River and Erie Canal. Exhibitions change throughout the year.  Visit Site >
Passport Site

 Cohoes Music Hall

1874. In its early years, the hall offered dramatic and musical productions, attracting vaudeville stars and popular acts. The hall's initial run lasted just 30 years, closing in 1905 due to a sagging roof truss. Remarkably, the hall reopened to the public 69 years later in 1974 after being fully restored. The music hall is owned by the City of Cohoes and is open for occasional performances.  Visit Site >

 Kallet Civic Center

(315) 363-8525

1938. This Art Moderne style theater serves as a multi-purpose community space for rental and other community events.  Visit Site >

 Rome Capitol Theatre

(315) 337-6453

1928. This Art Deco style theater offers live performances and concerts, classic movies, and silent films accompanied by the theater's restored 1928 Moller organ.  Visit Site >

 New York Folklore Society Gallery

(518) 346-7008

A consignment folk art gallery featuring New York Traditions, with over 65 folk and traditional artists represented, including Iroquois (Haudenosaunee) bead workers and basket makers, wood carvers, quilters and other fiber artists, stone carvers, and furniture makers.  Visit Site >

 Proctors Theatre

(518) 382-1083

1926. This ornately designed and lavishly decorated Atmospheric vaudeville theater continues as a thriving arts center offering music, movies and Broadway musicals. It is also the home of the Schenectady Symphony and the Northeast Ballet. Public tours of the theater are hosted once a month. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Visit Site >

 Scotia Cinema

(518) 346-5055

1929. Originally the Ritz Theater, the Scotia Cinema has undergone extensive renovations since 1981, yet maintains its old-fashioned neighborhood movie theater charm.  Visit Site >

 Troy Savings Bank Music Hall

(518) 273-0038

1875. The Music Hall's acclaimed acoustics have attracted many of the world's best musicians. Designed in the Beaux Arts and French Renaissance styles, the Music Hall offers a variety of musical performances year round. Listed as a National Historic Landmark.  Visit Site >

 Munson-Williams Proctor Art Institute

(315) 797-0000

Permanent collection stems from objects collected by three generations of one Utica family. The family patriarch, Alfred Munson, acquired his fortune from industrial interests including canal development. The Institute consists of an Art Museum, a School of Art, and Performing Arts Center.  Visit Site >

 Stanley Center for the Arts

(315) 724-1113

1928. Designed using a Mexican Baroque motif by movie palace architect Thomas W. Lamb, the theater now houses the Stanley Center for the Arts, a regional arts service organization. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Visit Site >

Erie Canal- Central
 Stickley Museum

(315) 682-5500

Gustav Stickley was a preeminent figure in the American Arts and Crafts Movement. The Stickley Museum contains over 150 furniture pieces spanning the history of Stickley Furniture, from early Arts and Crafts pieces to freshly cut pieces straight from the factory floor. The museum is housed in the original factory building in Fayetteville.  Visit Site >

 Everson Museum of Art

(315) 474-6064

The museum is notable for its collection of American paintings and its renowned ceramics collection, based on the work of local artist Adelaide Alsop Robineau. It also contains the earliest and most comprehensive collection of video art. The building was designed by I.M. Pei.  Visit Site >

 Landmark Theatre

(315) 475-7980

1928. The theater is an example of architect Thomas W. Lamb's greatest works and is the only surviving movie palace in Syracuse. Today, it serves as a premier performing arts venue.  Visit Site >

 Westcott Cinema

(315) 299-8886

1928. Originally a single screen threater (the Harvard), the Westcott is now a live music venue.  Visit Site >

Erie Canal- West
 Strand Theater

(585) 637-3310

1907. Monroe County's oldest operating movie theater is located in the historic village of Brockport. The façade was remodeled in an Art Moderne style in 1946. Now split into a three-screen theater, the Strand shows first run movies.  Visit Site >

 Allendale Theatre/Theatre of Youth Company

(716) 884-4400

1913. Built in a Neo-Classical Revival style as a neighborhood movie theater. After 13 years of restoration, the theater reopened in 1999 and now houses Buffalo's Theatre of Youth Company.  Visit Site >

 Albright Knox Art Gallery

(716) 882-8700

Originally the Buffalo Fine Arts Academy in 1862, Albright Knox Gallery is one of the oldest public art institutions in the U.S. John J. Albright, a wealthy industrialist and entrepreneur, donated money in 1890 for the addition of a gallery to the Academy. The collection features modern and contemporary art.  Visit Site >

 Amherst Theatre

(716) 834-7655

1942. Built in an Art Deco style, the Amherst was originally a single screen theatre. It now exhibits a mix of independent, art, and mainstream films.  Visit Site >

 Burchfield-Penney Art Center

(716) 878-6011

Contains the largest private collection of American watercolor painter Charles E. Burchfield (1893-1967), known for paintings that depicted the effects of industrialism on life in small-town America. The collection also includes more than 7,500 objects by over 600 Western New York artists.  Visit Site >

 Kleinhan's Music Hall

(716) 885-5000

1940. Designed in the International style by Eliel and Eero Saarinen, the hall is known for its unique combination of graceful structural beauty and extraordinary acoustics. Now home to the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra; the hall is listed as a National Historic Site.  Visit Site >

 North Park Theatre

(716) 836-7411

1920. Built as part of the Shea's Theatre chain in the Neo-Classical style. Today, North Park Theatre runs commercial films, as well as independent and art releases.  Visit Site >

 Shea's Performing Arts Center/Buffalo Theatre

(716) 847-1410

1926. This French Renaissance theater was designed by Cornelius W. Rapp and George Leslie Rapp. Its original Wurlitzer organ remains intact and playable. Today, the center offers musicals, Broadway productions, operas and concerts. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Visit Site >

 Palace Theatre

(716) 438-1130

1925. This proscenium-arch-style space, built by Charles A. Dickinson, opened with the silent film, The Ten Commandments. Today it is a single screen, multi-purpose theater featuring comedy acts, musicals, plays, and films.  Visit Site >

 Mural Mania

This arts initiative along the canal aims to preserve history through community art. You'll find historical scenes on buildings and bridges along the Canalway Trail and in communities from Canastota to Lockport. The epicenter for Mural Mania is in Lyons, where you'll find more than ten murals. You'll also find many depression-era murals by WPA-era artists inside post offices throughout the canal corridor.  Visit Site >

 Ohmann Theatre

(315) 946-4604

1915. The theater has operated as a live theater house, vaudeville theater, and musical performance space. Carefully restored and owned today by the grandson of the original owner, the Ohmann Theatre is a single screen, family-operated theater, also open for rental.  Visit Site >

 Riviera Theatre

(716) 692-2413

1926. This Italian Renaissance theater was designed by Leon Lempart & Son of Rochester. Its Wurlitzer pipe organ is still in use today. Currently operated as a rental house by the Niagara Frontier Theatre Organ Society. The Society offers a Wurlitzer Concert series each month.  Visit Site >

 Alling Coverlet Museum

(315) 597-6981

Showcases the largest collection of hand woven coverlets in the nation. Dating from the 1820s to the 1880s, these unique woven bed coverings represent a once thriving industry on the Erie Canal.  Visit Site >

 George Eastman House

(585) 271-3361

The museum commemorates the legacy of George Eastman, inventor of the hand-held camera in the late 1800s who lived in Rochester from 1905-1932. It is among the most renowned museums of photography and centers of photographic preservation in the world.  Visit Site >

 Little Theatre

(585) 258-0400

1928. This Art Deco style theater, built as part of the "little cinema movement," is dedicated to showing artistic and eclectic films in a more intimate setting. Today, the theater and an adjacent building house a five screen multiplex.  Visit Site >

 Memorial Art Gallery

(585) 276-8900

The gallery is known for its outstanding and representative collection of American art. Also includes works by Monet, Cassatt, and other significant collections of world art. On exhibit is George Harvey's 1837 oil painting, Pittsford on the Erie Canal.  Visit Site >

 The Cinema

(585) 271-1785

1914. Originally opened as the Clinton Theater, the Cinema was renovated and renamed in 1949 with its current Art Deco façade. The Cinema is the oldest, continuously-run, single screen theater in Rochester.  Visit Site >

Cayuga-Seneca Canal
 Smith Opera House / Geneva Theatre

(315) 781-5483

1894. Built by philanthropist William Smith and architects Joseph Pierce and Henry Bickford, the opera house is among the oldest operating theaters in the U.S. The theater currently offers entertainment and educational programming.  Visit Site >

 Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art

(607) 255-6464

The museum was designed by I.M. Pei and is unique architectually for its open linked spaces between exhibits, designed to combat "museum fatigue" in the 1970s. It is one of the top university art museums in the country.  Visit Site >

 State Theatre

(607) 27.STATE

1928. Designed as an Atmospheric theater and vaudeville palace, mixing Moorish, Gothic, and Renaissance motifs. The theater now hosts concerts, theater productions, dance, lectures, and community performances. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Visit Site >

 Ludovico Sculpture Trail

The 1.75-mile Frank J. Ludovico Sculpture Trail is home to numerous sculptures inspired by the women's rights movement and created primarily by women sculptors.  Visit Site >

 Glen Theater

(607) 535-4432

1924. Exterior and interior renovations have restored the ornate Glen Theater to its turn-of-the-century Neo-Classical motif. It is currently operated as a single screen movie theater and performance space.  Visit Site >

Champlain Canal
 Hyde Collection Art Museum

(518) 792-1761

Historic house and museum complex houses artwork, textiles, ceramics and other objects spanning from the fourth century BC through the twentieth century. Included are works of significant artists like Botticelli, Rembrandt, and other Old Masters.  Visit Site >

Oswego Canal
 Oswego 7 Cinemas

(315) 343-6361

1941. Built using Atmospheric and Streamline Moderne motifs, which were popular from the late-1930s to the early-1950s. It now serves as a seven screen multiplex. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Visit Site >